Thursday, August 30

Thursday Farm Photo: Donkey Doodle Dandy Up Close and Personal


And a Not So Quiet Moment

For all of you who have been so kindly asking about Donkey Doodle Dandy, he's doing, well, just dandy. I admit he's been a little neglected blogwise lately, but as you can clearly see it's impossible to ignore him in real life.

I've mentioned before that when Dan is braying, which he was doing in my face when I snapped this un-zoomed photo, he always sounds the same—very very loud. I don't find his hee-hawing (yes, it really does sound like that) bothersome or unpleasant in the least even if it is right next to my ear, but it's difficult to know if Dan is trying to tell you he's excited or hungry or upset about something or simply so happy to be a donkey that he just can't keep it to himself.

His coat is so slicked out for summer that he looks positively shiny. He also managed to bulk up his chest and front legs in such a way that if I didn't know better, I'd swear he'd been working out at the gym, though the in-your-face angle of this photo clearly doesn't show him at his best.

At the still very young age of five (donkeys can live 30 years or longer), Dan has clearly moved from adorable to dashingly handsome. Maybe that's what he's been trying to tell me with all that braying.

I have more news about Dan I've been wanting to share for a while now, and there's a Cary update in the works, too. I know some of you are also waiting for more photos of Whitey and her baby chicks, who are almost as big as she is. Summer with all of its glorious bounty has inspired me to emphasize the food part of this food and farm blog lately, but the animal tales have been piling up faster than the dirty dishes from all the cooking and baking I've been doing. Heck, there are still stories leftover from spring lambing season I want to share. I just realized you haven't even met Dee Dee and Buddy Rabbit, and they're practically grown up.

I always have the best intentions, but around here you never know what's going to happen next, so I constantly find myself wondering how I can be behind with absolutely everything.

Soon. Hopefully I'll get to it all soon. In the meantime, there's a handsome young donkey I'd better go pay some attention to.

Just getting to know Dan? Start here.

Want to see more of Dan?
7/04/05: He's A Donkey Doodle Dan-Dy!

8/11/05: Dinky Donkey Doodle Dandy

9/06/05: Anyone for spam?

9/21/05: Dan Loves To Hang Out In Corners

10/4/05: Do You Think Dan Misses Me?

10/14/05: Dan & His New Charges

10/15/05: The Tail Of Uncle Dan

10/15/05: Dan's Opinion Of His New Charges

11/19/05: Weekend Donkey Blogging #1

12/11/05: Weekend Dog & Donkey Blogging

12/19/05: Fluffing Up For Winter

1/31/06: Being Adorable Is Thirsty Work

2/11/06: That's Not Fat, That's Fluff

2/18/06: He Could Have Slept In His Hut

3/13/06: I Need More Than Spun Gold For Breakfast

3/14/06: A Whole New Way To Start The Day

3/24/06: Uncle Dan Is Back On The Job!

4/20/06: Sometimes There Simply Aren't Words

5/12/06: Who's Sog-gy Now?

6/26/06: Who needs TV With Cary & DDD?

7/12/06: Donkey Daycare?!

7/27/06: An Organic Carrot For Breakfast

8/5/06: Dan's A Dirt Roller

8/10/06: There's Nothing Subtle About Our Dan

9/6/06: Putting Up With The Cary Treat Thief

9/13/06: Did I Mention Dan Adores Cary?

9/21/06: Clip Clop Swish! Clip Clop Swish!

10/27/06: Starting To Fluff Up For Winter

11/8/06: Dan Is Quite The Dainty Eater

12/20/06: Goodbye Autumn

12/28/06: Warning Guard Donkey On Duty
1/2/07: Donkey Brings Morning Traffic To A Standstill
5/6/07: Dan Meets Baby Cary

5/31/07: The Ratty Blue Halter Finally Fell Off

Wow. That's a lot of donkey photos. Do you have a favorite?

© 2007 FarmgirlFare.com, the longear loving foodie farm blog where Farmgirl Susan shares stories & photos of her crazy country life on 240 remote Missouri acres.

19 comments:

  1. So good to see Dan again. Handsome? I agree. Looking forward to all the stories!

    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. One damn fine beast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite pictures to date! It put a huge smile on my face and made me want to reach out to pet him...does he even really like to be petted?

    I can't wait to hear the other animal tales. Waiting with baited breath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our donkey, Rupert, sounds like a wounded foghorn when he brays. It's comical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohhhh!!! New farm critters to hear about! Can't wait! Can't wait!

    And an upcoming Cary update! The suspense is killing me!

    And I'd like to know, too....Does Dan like to be petted?

    Inquiring city minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME pic of DDD! I was just thinking about him today--you've made my blog-reading day, FarmGirl!

    So, what's this news about DDD? IS he getting a lady-friend? Ooooh, do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donkey Dan is a fine and dandy dude. Can't believe I just wrote that. I have been worried about him and Cary. So wonderful to hear about them. I look forward to all the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan looks slick and wonderful for summer! Glad to see he's missing the blue halter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picture! My husband loves donkeys, so I'm using it as my screensaver for awhile.

    I, too, look forward to hearing more animal antics! You have such a way with words that makes everything all the more hilarious. :)

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am laughing out loud right now at your descriptions of Dan! My goodness what a wonderful animal! The photo is priceless! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking about Donkey Doodle Dandy. Glad to see he is well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been meaning to visit your blog for awhile now and just got the chance. It's adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice, I was just wondering about DDD the other day - our neighbors have a donkey and he is quite the talker - at all and any time of the day. It's very funny to hear him. Looking forward to the Cary & Whitey/chicks stories too. :-) T.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Did I mention Dan adores Cary?' is my fave. Today's pic is great though, he's a Donkey Doodle Dude!

    C'mon with the critter updates!!

    And bless you for the weblink, I just spotted it. I'll be chuffed all day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dan is fascinating! I think my favorite Dan picture is the one with him rolling in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww, he's one fine donkey, that triple D! He along with Cary are my 2 hands down favorites and I love seeing their pictures and hearing all about them.

    My favorite Dan pic is the one in which he's wearing the feed bucket on his head....it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like he has so much personality!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the picture that you posted of the donkey rolling in the dirt. It reminds me of my boyfriend Shane’s donkey.

    I grew up on a small farm so I can relate to all of your pictures that you have posted. I had a few pigs, goats, and chickens when I was growing up. Living on a farm is so beautiful and I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. It is not hard to believe that you have taken over 15,000 pictures. There are so many amazing things to photograph when you live on a farm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog and have been enjoying the tales of your farm...love your donkey stories...I have mostly been documenting art and my recent trip to Ireland on my blog but you've inspired me to start some of my own farm tales too...p.s...love your name...a kindred spirit...Kerry

    ReplyDelete

December 2015 update: Hi! For some reason I can't figure out, Blogger hasn't been letting me leave comments on my own blog (!) for the last several months, so I've been unable to respond to your comments and questions. My apologies for any inconvenience! You're always welcome to email me: farmgirlfare AT gmail DOT com.

Hi! Thanks for visiting Farmgirl Fare and taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love hearing about your experiences with my recipes. Comments on older posts are always welcome!

Please note that I moderate comments, so if I'm away from the computer it may be a while before yours appears.

I try my best to answer all questions, though sometimes it takes me a few days. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your e-visits to our farm!