Thursday, September 27

Farm Photo 9/27/07: Made For Each Other?


A Perfect Match

When I first saw this butterfly I thought its wings were partly transparent and that I was seeing the color of the squash blossom beneath them. Considering there are probably at least a million colors in the world, it seems incredible that this butterfly has the exact same coloring as this flower. Or does it? All I know is that from now on, this winged beauty will be referred to in my garden as the Squash Blossom Butterfly.

Speaking of squash, have you frozen some grated zucchini yet so you can make Carrot, Raisin, & Zucchini bran muffins once I finally get around to sharing the recipe? It's a scrumptious new variation of my popular bran muffin recipe, and calls for one packed cup (weighing 8 ounces) of grated zucchini for a dozen muffins. I hope to have it up in the next couple of weeks. (The Tomato Basil Sourdough Bread recipe is coming first.)

More into salads than squash? Over In My Kitchen Garden, I've just written all about how easy it is to grow Swiss chard, one of my very favorite vegetables, from seed. No garden? No problem. Swiss chard does exceptionally well in containers, which means even apartment dwellers have no excuse not to try sprinkling a few seeds somewhere.

Next up In My Kitchen Garden will be two of my favorite Swiss chard recipes. In the meantime, I hope you'll add your favorite way to enjoy Swiss chard in a comment on the how to grow it post--whether you actually grow your own or not. The suggestions so far all sound so delicious that I've been out in the garden urging all my 1-inch high seedlings to grow "Faster! Faster! Faster!"

Want to see more?
You'll find plenty of pollinator pics here, and lots more flower photos here.

© 2007 FarmgirlFare.com, the award-winning blog where Farmgirl Susan shares stories & photos of her crazy country life on 240 remote acres.

15 comments:

  1. You are so right! The two are simply perfect with one another. Isn't it interesting how nature does that? I'm so glad you captured this moment in photograph and shared. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Memphis Zoo to see what you see everyday...the butterfly exhibit. I saw so many different butterflies, I could not believe their beauty....When you left the caged area there was a mirror to make sure there were no stowaways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've seen this blog before. You've got a really nice blog! Beautiful photos! Are you a farmer? I am a farmer in Norway.
    I hope you will visit me on my blog!
    Have a nice day :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Oh! Oh! I want the muffin recipe!! Please! I have at least one more zucchini to cook/bake this weekend, and the family has tired of my delicious zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Squash Blossom - and I love your salad recipes. They all sound great and I can't wait to try them.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful photo! How do you do that? You must have a handy camera! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just make sure you never squash your blossom butterfly (ha, ha, ha,...couldn't resist).

    Ellen P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you were so blest when you were able to witness this in order to share it with us! Thanks! My squash flowers are usually closed when I see them...:-(!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just visited all your flower photos. Really beautiful. And some of the captions so cute and witty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Farmgirl,

    I found your blog through Linda at the One Acre Wood.

    I love your photo of the butterfly in the sqash blossom. Those matching yellow colors are just beautiful.

    http://olivia-kroth.blog.de.vu
    email: O.Kroth@t-online.de

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color is exact! How fabulous, Susan! I shall buy up some zucchini tomorrow and squirrel it away so I can make your recipe. And I may or may not give over the bathroom sink to swiss chard - it's one of my favorites. Gorgeous post, as usual!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photo, as always! If you're in the mood for something a little fancy and want to do more than just look at your squash blossoms, stop by Straight from the Farm for lots of squash blossom recipe ideas and instructions on how to harvest them in a way that won't diminish your squash harvest!

    ReplyDelete

December 2015 update: Hi! For some reason I can't figure out, Blogger hasn't been letting me leave comments on my own blog (!) for the last several months, so I've been unable to respond to your comments and questions. My apologies for any inconvenience! You're always welcome to email me: farmgirlfare AT gmail DOT com.

Hi! Thanks for visiting Farmgirl Fare and taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love hearing about your experiences with my recipes. Comments on older posts are always welcome!

Please note that I moderate comments, so if I'm away from the computer it may be a while before yours appears.

I try my best to answer all questions, though sometimes it takes me a few days. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your e-visits to our farm!