Sunday, June 3

Farm Photo: 6/3/07

Waiting With Whitey


8:04am

Note: If you're just tuning in,
read this first.

We've been off the farm most of the day (couldn't be helped), and I was sure I'd miss all the hatching action. I had horrifying visions of fluffy newborn chicks accidentally flinging themselves off the edge of the nesting box and thudding onto the ground four feet below, but fortunately they went unfounded. I arrived home a few hours ago to find Whitey looking much the same as she did when I left this morning, but I was too curious to simply leave her be. I wanted to see what, if anything, was going on underneath all that puffed up plumage.

The second I reached my hand toward Whitey she began pecking me to death, but I had outsmarted her by donning enormous protective fireplace/welding gloves in preparation of her attack. Okay, it was really Joe who outsmarted her, as the gloves were his idea, but he has a lot more experience with chickens than I do. Remember he's the one who taught me that the best way to catch a wayward chicken is with a net.

7:24pm

Anyway, the gloves worked beautifully, and I was able to pick up Whitey and have a quick peek at the eggs without losing any blood in the process. Boy was she pissed off. That girl has got glaring down to an art.

There were at least two eggs that showed signs of cracking, but nothing had actually hatched. So it looks like the only thing I'll be missing out on is a good night's sleep. I wonder if Whitey wants coffee. Oh yeah, and there are now two white eggs in with the rest.

This is Day 21 of Whitey Watch.

© 2007 FarmgirlFare.com, the award-winning blog where Farmgirl Susan shares photos & stories of her crazy country life on 240 remote Missouri acres.

11 comments:

  1. Good heavens, Woman, you have us on the edge of our seats...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLA!!!
    just checked ur bllog find it really kewl!!!
    i'hve got a really kool nd krazy website for u bro check this thing out
    man it gonna blow u up,click the link below
    http://www.bigadda.com/Boss/quiz.php?type=web&uid=1797

    ReplyDelete
  3. is Whitey laying the White eggs?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am waiting with every non patient bone in my body! Don't leave us in the dark when the chickies come! How cool.... How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FG you truly know how to build suspense! The "Whitey Watch" is building excitement. Good for Joe about the gloves - now how will you take pictures with those gloves on?? So much to learn and so little time! Stay strong Whitey -

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious and sweet at the same time! Crazy Whitey--gotta love that determined bird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where the heck do the white eggs keep coming from!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE CHICKS!!! :o)
    And what is up with the white eggs? Are they hers or is there a renegade hen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. boyohboyohboy, this is good! pretty much everything that happens on yr farm is some kind of perfect childrens' (& adaults'!) fable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need a live webcam so we don't miss anything. It might also solve the mystery of the white eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving this. I too vote for a webcam.

    ReplyDelete

December 2015 update: Hi! For some reason I can't figure out, Blogger hasn't been letting me leave comments on my own blog (!) for the last several months, so I've been unable to respond to your comments and questions. My apologies for any inconvenience! You're always welcome to email me: farmgirlfare AT gmail DOT com.

Hi! Thanks for visiting Farmgirl Fare and taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love hearing about your experiences with my recipes. Comments on older posts are always welcome!

Please note that I moderate comments, so if I'm away from the computer it may be a while before yours appears.

I try my best to answer all questions, though sometimes it takes me a few days. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your e-visits to our farm!